What is Uwajimaya?
Uwajimaya is a gigantic asian market that specializes in Japanese speciality products. It’s seriously amazing. Uwajimaya has been open since 1928 and is a Pacific Northwest institution. They specialize in fresh produce [a ton of it is local as well!], meat, seafood [they have lots of things in tanks!] and asian specialty gifts and sundries. They have an awesome deli with fresh sushi and buns as well as an amazing asian bookstore attached. Really Uwajimaya is pretty legit.
- Chinese egg plant – on super sale!
- Baby bok choy – on super sale!
- 4 [yes 4!] boxes of Meiji Panda cookies – 2 regular and 2 double chocolate
- Lychee hard candies
- 2 Ramune type sodas – One lychee and one pineapple [Ramune Sodas are crazy delicious and have a marble in them that acts as the stopper. It’s pretty fun to try and get the marble out without breaking the bottle!]
- 2 kinds of Furikake – Wasabi flavored [for me!] and traditional seaweed and sesame [for everyone else]. In Japan white rice is eaten at just about every meal and it’s very plain [obviously] so furikake is used to make it delicious. There are a TON of flavors available and you can even make your own at home.
- Shrimp chips in sour cream and onion flavor – These are so good. It’s like a pop chip with a salty flavor [you couldn’t pick out ‘shrimp’ of you ate one] and super light crunch. Half a bag is a serving and it’s like very low calorie. Delicious snack! I opened the bag on the way home >.>
- Vegetarian BBQ Pork – I’ve never had this before, but I could not resist. It has milk in it so I’m only on in this house who will eat it so I hope it’s good!
- 3 bags of mushroom and veggie steamed buns – pretty much the reason for the trip. I have a gigantic love of these soft pillowy steamed buns. Super good and they were on sale!
- Bag of baked tofu and veggie gyozas – these are really good! They have good nutritional stats too which is rare in a gyoza!
- Nerdy Hello Kitty Cell Charm [see here] – It’s super cute and matched my Christmas gift from my boyfriend. Love it! Going to put it on my DS probably since I’m SUPER cool like that.
- Onigiri shaper [see here] – It makes the tubey cylinder type ones. Onigiri Japanese rice balls and they’re great with leftovers for lunch! All my bento stuff is packed, but I’ve been getting back into it recently. My main rule is that I can’t rebuy anything I already own. I have the triangle shaped packed, but not this shape. It will get a lot of use soon.
I actually got a lot more than this even, but this give you a good idea of what kind of items they sell. I actually forgot to get some sushi rice while I was there as well as going into the bookstore to search for the Just Bento cookbook [I’ll have to get it from Amazon now!] but over all a great trip!
Do you often go to asian markets? Have you ever been to Uwajimaya? What do you like to get? Me – Obviously snacks!