The main reason to have a first aid & medical kit has to be that you or someone at your place will get hurt or sick sometime soon. It may sound a little boy scouty to ‘be prepared’ but really you should! Colds, headaches, cuts, bumps, scrapes and sore muscles are all highly probable in the next year for you and your household. Get a kit together to save yourself the “Oh crap I just cut myself and we are either OUT of bandaids or they’ve mysteriously moved somewhere stupid in this house” moment.
Why herbal stuff at all? I mean like this isn’t ye hippy olden timez it’s the FUTURE and it’s full of SCIENCE … and stuff. I honestly prefer herbal products for things that go one my skin or that I have to drink. They are natural, I don’t have crazy allergic reactions to them [I have the most sensitive skin ever apparently THANKS GENES], and I like being able to make them or buy them from people who make quality products. I’m not saying that over the counters are garbage at all. I just think that science and herbal remedies co exist quite well at our house.
The Basic Accessories – aka NOT the hippy stuff
- Tweezers – For getting small hard to get things out slivers & gravel I’m looking at you!
- Bandages – all sizes
- Gauze/Surgical tape – I was dumb a while ago and “Black Swan-ed” my pinky [it was gross] so I was very excited to see that we had these to put pressure on the wound.
- Small clean scissors – Cutting the tape/gauze and other things you need to cut
- One sided razor blade with cover – same as the scissors. Really somethings are better to do with a razor blade.
- Hydrogen peroxide – This stuff sucks, but it works. I HATED it as a child since it hurts and makes your scrapes fizzy. I don’t use it for cuts and scrapes now I tend to use it as a deluded mouthwash if there is something going on there [I’m really good at biting down on my cheek while I eat. Apparently I’m just an eating failure.]
- Gloves – We actually don’t have the standard 1 pair we have a whole box under the bathroom sink. It good for cleaning and first aid apparently.
- Eye Cups – We actually have real eye cups, but really all you need is a shot glass. Just make sure it’s clean and sterile and you’re good to go.
- Thermometer – Fevers need to be watched and it keeps my crazy hypochondriac ways in check.
- Aloe Vera – Sun Burn City = where I am in the summer. I have very light skin that burns almost instantly if I’m not diligent about sun screen then I go through a lot of aloe. I’m also the main cook of the house and I get burned that way as well. Aloe is really some magic stuff. This is probably one of the few herbal remedies that you might actually have in your kit right now.
Some random stuff I put in ours
- Off brand Emergen-C – This gets downed when the plague is going around the office.
- My extra vitamins – Vitamin D, Super B Complex and my multivitamin. I have like one of those pill box things that I use throughout the week then just add more once a week since I’m oldawesome. [It’s totally Chococat]
- Hydrocortisone – We still have a tube from before we got a lot of herbal things so this stays until it’s used.
- Orajel – For those wisdom teeth issues [thankfully I was born without them!]
Where is all the hippy stuff? Where actually is ‘______’ stuff?! That will happen next time in Herbal Medical & First Aid Kit – Part 2 – Hippy Junk
Do you have a medical and first aid kit? What’s in it? Do you use anything herbal?